The concept of “work smart, not hard” is not new, but what does it actually mean? A new strategy has provided me with the flexibility to be productive whilst surviving in a high-stress environment.
From one millennial to another: here’s how to avoid getting overwhelmed by the sudden change and come out #winning. Throughout life, we go through many transitions, with one of the most notable being the transition from school to the workplace. However, life doesn’t provide us with a clear set of rules or guidelines to follow when making any of these transitions. So how do we do it? As someone who has jumped through the school/work transition before, you’d think I would be good at it by now. Well, guess again. I don’t think transitioning is something we can ever be good at, but we can improve and adjust our expectations and processes to fit our situation. After graduating from Ryerson with a bachelor’s degree when I was 22 I had no idea what I was going to do. I started working at a startup, while also developing my writing portfolio and building up other skills, such as communication and project management. Truth be told, the transition wasn’t easy. I don’t think transitioning is something we …
Charlene Bailey started figure skating at age seven. She spent the majority of her adolescence on the ice. When she wasn’t skating, she was thinking about skating. She remembers drawing sketches of dress designs on scrap pieces of paper. She would plan the skating choreography in her mind, and even pick out the music for the routine.
We all have dreams. Sometimes our dreams and careers match up — where we’re able to go to work every day and do something we love. Other times our passions may not exactly coincide with the work we do to pay the bills. Whatever the case, it is important to find the right balance in life, especially when work or passions begin to consume more time than you can really afford to devote. Two musicians share their experiences.
Finding acceptance, encouragement and success while pursing a challenging career. There was a time, not long ago, when gender played a big role in the career you picked. For millennials who grew up with parents telling them they could achieve whatever they could imagine, it seems unthinkable, but for the generations that came before us, career choices were by and large limited by your gender as much as anything else, unless you were willing to be a trailblazer and put up with all the detractors, that is. Of course, all this is changing, but it takes time, and while in most professions the old norms about gender roles may have been long overcome, they leave a long trail. Nursing is one of the professions often associated with traditional gender roles. In modern Western history at least it has been a career path mostly taken by women. The 2001 Statistics Canada’s National Household Survey found only 10 percent of nurses in the country are men, the rest – a full 90 percent – are women. So …
Why are so many organizations struggling with disengagement amongst millennial employees and what will the future of work will look like as millennials become the majority of the workforce?
With the pervasiveness of technology today, coding is becoming a skill everyone should have. Thankfully you don’t need to be interested in how computers work to learn to code.
Perks such as flex work hours, lucrative pay and the opportunity to give back make sales a viable career path for millennials.
Looking to build a strong network to support you in your career? You’re going to have to work for it.
Failure is (almost) always part of finding success.